Welcome To Chemistry Department
About the Department
Chemistry Department is one of the leading department of the college, established in 1970, which offers programs leading to B.Sc. and M. Sc. degrees. Department is provided with spacious and separate chemistry laboratories for UG and PG classes. Department is well equipped with sophisticated analytical types of equipment such as FTIR, GC, HPLC, UV-Vis-DRS spectroscopy and FES. Department undertakes various activities for the overall development of students as well as cultivating research attitude.
Programme offered by the Department
- Undergraduate Courses
Duration of course
- Postgraduate Courses
Duration of course
After completing B.Sc. Chemistry Programme, students will be able to:
- Transfer and apply the acquired fundamental knowledge of chemistry, including basic concepts and principles of Organic chemistry, Inorganic chemistry, Physical and Analytical Chemistry.
- Apply and demonstrate knowledge of essential facts, concepts, laws, principles and theories related to chemistry.
- Demonstrate the learned laboratory skills, enabling them to perform qualitative and quantitative analysis of given samples and able to make conclusions on it.
- Set procedure and synthesize simple compounds of commercial importance.
- Engage in oral and written scientific communication, and will prove that they can think critically and work independently.
- Communicate effectively using graphical techniques, reports and presentations within a scientific environment.
- To recognize problems in chemical science and make strategies to solve it.
- Respond effectively to unfamiliar problems in scientific contexts.
- Plan, execute of design experiment, make documentation of it, interpret data at entry level of chemical industry and report the results.
- Integrate and apply these skills to study different branches of chemistry.
- The student will acquire knowledge effectively by self-study; work independently, present information in a clear, concise and logical manner.
- The student will learn professionalism, including the ability to work in groups and in society, and apply basic ethical principles.
Curricular and Co-Curricular Activities
National/State level conference/workshop organized by department-
- Organized National seminar in January 2012 On Nanotechnology: Environmental, Economic, Social and Health Perspectives (22nd & 23rd 2016).
- Organized Two-days state level seminar on Recent Trends in Chemical Sciences on 7th and 8th2018
- Organized One-day workshop on S.Y.B.Sc. syllabus framing of Choice Based Credit system by SPPU (29th 2019)
Along with B. Sc. Chemistry degree, add on courses are offered for the science students.
Name of the Certificate/Diploid Course
No. of students
Year of introduction
Safety in Chemical Laboratory
Food Safety and Food Adulteration
MOU/ Collaborations/ Linkages
Department has MOU with Sahydri Milk and Milk Products, (Dingore) Pune
- R. N. Shirsat awarded Ph. D. by Savitribai Phule Pune University on 4th September 2019 under the guidance of Dr. M. G. Chaskar.
- M. H. Moulavi awarded Ph. D. by Savitribai Phule Pune University on 30th August 2020 under the guidance of Dr. K. G. Kanade.
- Mundhe Roshan, Mr. Dighe Mayuresh and Mr. Shingote Sunil of T.Y.B.Sc. class were participated in the Zonal and University Level Avishkar Competition at Indira College, Pune
- Bhale Mangesh Shankar qualified NET conducted in Dec. 2015.
- Selected Students
Number of students placed
Name of the organisation
Pune Rural Police
Wagons Learning PVT LTD, Pune
Chemical industry Ambarnath
Archar Chem Calibration PVT LTD. Malad Mumbai
MET CAL Central Baroda, Gujrat
Prajyo Instruments PVT LTD
- National Chemical Laboratory, Pune
- University of Pune
- Katraj Dairy & Milk Chilling Centre, Otur
- Baburaoji Gholap College, Sangvi, Pune